Back to Top

Parenting Time

When the parents of a minor child are splitting up and will no longer live together, it raises issues of custody and parenting time.  How much time each parent will spend with their child is normally put into a written schedule and court order.  These schedules can be very vague or very specific, depending on the needs of the parents. When the parents cannot agree on a schedule, the Court will dictate what the schedule should be. 

In order to determine the length, frequency, and type of parenting time, the Court considers several factors under Michigan law.  These factors can include the child’s age, any history of violence or abuse, the distance between the parents, and/or other special circumstances involving the child.  The potential schedules are varied and start with a discussion of whether one parent will have primary physical custody of the child.  To determine a parenting time schedule, we first consider custody of the child and the living arrangements of the parents.  Will the child live primarily with one parent?  If so, then the other parent (the non-custodial parent) will have a parenting time schedule. 

That parenting time schedule can involve very little time, or as much as half the time with the minor child.  The schedule you end up with can be dictated by things such as the age of the minor child, where you and the other parent live in relation to one another, and many other factors.

Some courts, such as Macomb County Friend of the Court, have even defined a typical schedule, of what is considered “reasonable.”  This reasonable schedule gives the non-custodeial parent every other weekend, one evening during the week, as well as specific holidays and vacations throughout the year.  This schedule can be found at

There are many different parenting time schedules out there, and the one appropriate for you and your child depends on your circumstances.  At ADAM, we can help you work out a strategy to get you the best parenting time schedule for your situation.  Call an ADAM attorney today at (248) 327-0050 for more information.