File for Divorce in Michigan
We Help Clients in Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Livingston, Washtenaw, Monroe, Lapeer, & St. Clair Counties
Often, men have a difficult time finding a divorce attorney who can represent them properly. Men do not always receive fair treatment from the courts during the event of a divorce. The divorce lawyers at the American Divorce Association for Men utilize over 30 years of experience to advocate for clients and ensure that they are receiving the fair chance that they deserve. No one deserves to face a bias when planning the rest of their life, and the courts have been shown to favor maternal parenting. ADAM is here to fight for fair results in your divorce.
Divorce is one of the most unfortunate experiences that some married couples must face. Unfortunately, the process can cause an individual to suffer financially and emotionally. An experienced attorney can help fight for your property, your finances, and your right to see your children. Fight for the best outcome during this difficult situation by hiring a divorce attorney from ADAM.
Are you facing a divorce? Contact the experts at ADAM today. Our Michigan divorce attorneys are ready to be your advocate through every step of the process.
What ADAM Does for Clients
Keeping the best interests of the client in mind, the American Divorce Association for Men has a strong presence both outside and inside of the courtroom. ADAM strongly supports alternative dispute resolution, which enables us to constantly prioritize the client's emotional and financial well-being. If we can fairly resolve a case outside of court, we will do so.
However, we are also prepared to represent all our clients aggressively inside the courtroom. From simple to complex cases, you can expect thorough, professional, and service tailored to your unique situation. Our team is here to assist with your family’s needs.
At ADAM, our divorce lawyers fight for:
Common Questions About Divorce in Michigan
How Much Does Divorce Cost in Michigan?
There is no way of pre-determining the cost of a divorce, because no two cases are the same. However, according to a survey by Martindale-Nolo Research, the average cost of a divorce in Michigan is $12,900, ranging between $4,000 and $28,000 on average. These amounts increase for divorces with children, divorces with alimony issues, and divorces involving property division.
What's the Divorce Process in Michigan?
The basic Michigan divorce process is:
- File divorce papers or be served divorce papers
- Receive or send an answer to the divorce complaint
- Two months (60 days) without minor children
- Six months (180 days) with minor children
- Mediation/litigation of matters such as property division, child support, alimony, custody, and visitation
- The Judgment of Divorce is signed and finalized by a judge
Is Michigan a No-Fault State? Do You Need Grounds for Divorce in Michigan?
Yes, Michigan is a no-fault divorce state, which means that you do not need to provide any grounds for divorce in order to dissolve your marriage. All you need to do is state that your marriage is irretrievably broken.
How Do I Prepare for a Divorce?
- Finances – Organize your financial statements, such as bank accounts, tax returns, vehicle titles, and various credit card, mortgage, and other debts before filing for divorce. This can spare you a big hassle later on in the discovery and property distribution process.
- Come to an Agreement if Possible – Working with your spouse to agree any on some or all areas of your divorce—such as property, custody, child support, and spousal support—allows you to avoid having the court come to a decision for you through litigation.
- Focus on the Children – Divorce almost always has a negative effect on children. You can minimize the effects of divorce on your children by putting their well-being first. Help them to focus on important developmental activities, such as school and social events, and keep them separate and protected from the divorce process as much as possible without alienating the other parent.
- Consult a Lawyer – Divorce proceedings are complicated and the laws change frequently. You will need to work with an experienced attorney so that you have peace of mind knowing they are have the knowledge and skill to help you.
You Need a Divorce Lawyer That Understands Your Issues
ADAM was created in 1988 to protect men who were receiving unfair settlements and verdicts from a system that was ignoring their needs. Our founders saw an unfair amount of bias against husbands and fathers in court and decided that it was time to be their advocates. We know that men have a right to see their children, to receive support, and to keep the property they own.
Contact our divorce attorneys in Michigan at (248) 327-0050 to speak with an experienced member of our legal team. Your rights must be protected, and the fight for your future begins when you call today.
I would strongly encourage anyone to hire this very professional organization should they be facing the difficulties of divorce. ...- Dave
She never treated me like a client, she treated me like I was part of her family. She fought hard for me and always had my best ...- Robert
She treated me professionally and helped me get through one of the most difficult periods of my life with dignity.- William