Back to Top

My Wife Has Moved Out. Can I Change the Locks?

We get this question quite frequently. A potential client will call looking for advice.  His wife has left the home and is living somewhere else. Can he legally change the locks? Can she legally break into the home if she wants to return? The short answer is that you do not legally have the right to change the locks and prevent your wife from re-entering the home under these circumstances. Once you file for divorce, you can get a court order signed by the Judge that gives you exclusive use of the home. This order does allow you to change the locks to the home and prevent your wife from re-entering. If your wife has committed some sort of act of violence towards you, you may be able to get a Personal Protection Order (PPO) signed in the county where you live. A PPO can stipulate that your wife is not allowed to come to the house at all, or even to come near you.

About ADAM (American Divorce Association for Men)

The American Divorce Association for Men (ADAM) is a group of highly qualified attorneys who advocate for men’s rights in divorce, child custody and parenting time, paternity, support, property settlement, post judgment modifications, and other family law matters. Since 1988, ADAM has been aggressive, diligent, and uncompromising in fighting for the rights of every client. To request a free phone consultation, visit our site or call (248) 327-0050.